[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 09:05:29 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <helmrp at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>
> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
> name is important
>
> To recap, names suggested so far:
>
> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
> Scipy-base
> Unipy
> MatSysPy
> Pyengine
> Pycraft
>
> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

I said something similar in the numfocus thread, but I'll throw it out again:

The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
here, and it has existing name recognition. Maybe we'd be better off
figuring out how to clean up the existing mess around this name
instead of trying to start something new. (This also would have the
advantage -- or disadvantage -- that it would require concrete tasks
instead of just bikeshedding on the mailing list ;-).)

-n