[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 05:54:27 EDT 2012

On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <helmrp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
> suggest we consider something like the following:
> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".

Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
name is important

To recap, names suggested so far:

Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
Scipy-base
Unipy
MatSysPy
Pyengine
Pycraft

List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

Thanks,
Thomas