[SciPy-User] a TOST

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:38:43 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Is this a "how many incomprehensibly named t-test functions can we
>> > create"
>> > exercise?
>> >
>> > (only half kidding)
>>
>> TOST is a long established name in statistics
>>
>> exercise: look at how much SAS TTEST can do
>>
>> http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_ttest_a0000000128.htm
>> and ours are ... <limited>
>

> It can do more than what's in scipy.stats, I know. There's one function
> TTEST in SAS though, with some keywords to control behavior. I'm all for
> adding more useful functionality, but against more small functions with
> names that will be meaningless for the vast majority of users.

SAS is using big Procedures for most things.

Unless a user looks for something known, most of these names are
completely uninformative
bartlett, levene, mood, spearmanr, mannwhitneyu, ...
(I never heard of most of them, before working my way through it.)

example
http://rgm2.lab.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/functions.php?show=all&query=package:lmtest

I tried to put a descriptive prefix on some of the tests
http://statsmodels.sourceforge.net/devel/stats.html#residual-diagnostics-and-specification-tests

I haven't figured out a good pattern yet for combining tests in the
direction of the SAS style.

the name for TOST should be ``equivalence_test`` or something similar.

The main helpful information are pages about when to use which tests.
my specific page
http://statsmodels.sourceforge.net/devel/diagnostic.html#diagnostics

for general 1 sample, 2 sample and k sample tests overview tables are
available on the internet.

Josef