[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 20:06:15 EDT 2012

On 5 October 2012 00:23, David Baddeley <david_baddeley at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Even though it's been dismissed as 'too hard' I still think there is a
> strong case for specifying Scipy-stack to include a compiler - EPD manages
> to do this well on both x32 and x64 using mingw so it's definitely
> technically possible.

It's certainly technically possible, but it's nonetheless a major
requirement for anyone trying to make a compliant distribution. And
you can do a lot of useful stuff without needing a compiler. As for
extending the environment, many packages are already available in
various compiled forms (.exe installers, debian packages, pypm, etc.).

We may well try to standardise a larger environment with a compiler
later, but I don't want to get into that at the moment. For now, let's
focus on a stack that can be used without needing a compiler. I
appreciate that doesn't resolve your build case, but we can't solve
every problem at once.

Thanks,
Thomas