[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Oct 4 08:07:51 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2012 02:00,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where I do see a potentially big advantage as a maintainer of
>> statsmodels is in code sharing and being able to rely on more
>> consistent package versions by users.
>
> That's a good point: one of my other aims is that packages can more
> comfortably rely on things in the specification - similar to relying
> on the Python standard library.

This suggests another possible way of coming up with the base package
list... if a package is already included in all of
  Python(x,y), EPD, Anaconda, Debian, Redhat, <whatever other relevant
distros I'm missing>
then practically speaking it sticking it in the first version of the
spec won't cause any problems for anybody, because everyone's already
distributing it. But it will document that everyone is distributing
it, which is useful for tutorials, making decisions about
dependencies, etc.

(Python: batteries included!)

-n