[SciPy-User] 2D phase unwrapping

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat May 12 05:58:17 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Gregor Thalhammer <
gregor.thalhammer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have beend searching for an implementation for phase unwrapping in 2D
> (and possibly also 3D). I found this old thread in the numpy mailing list
>
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2008-November/038873.html
>
> which mentions the C implementation from GERI:
> http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/GERI/90202.htm
>
> While searching I found remarks by the authors that these algorithms have
> been incorporated into scipy, however I am unable to find them in current
> scipy or numpy. Am I missing something obvious?
> Instead I found this wrapper: https://github.com/pointtonull/pyunwrap
> This seems to be based on a wrapper already mentioned in the above
> mentioned discussion, but the links mentioned there are dead. I added some
> setup.py, and with some small modifications I managed to compile the
> extension both on OS X and Windows.
>
> I would like to see these algorithms included in scipy, and I am willing
> to work on this.

Great!

> So now my questions: In the old numpy-discussion thread licensing issues
> are raised, can anybody tell more? On the GERI homepage they distribute
> their code under a non-commercial-use license, but the authors seem to
> agree on incorporating their code into scipy.
> Except from this, what else would be required?

The emails about the license seem to be very clear to me, there's no issue.
So all it would take is someone submitting a complete wrapper (with the
normal requirements on docs/tests). The only things to decide are then: do
we want it in scipy (+1 from me), where to put it and what the API should
look like.

Ralf