[SciPy-User] [IPython-User] Layering a virtualenv over EPD

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 06:59:04 EDT 2012

On 23 March 2012 19:00, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> I suspect you've ended up doing what I'm intent on avoiding:
> re-installing ipython just to get the launch script in the bin directory
> of the virtualenv.
>
> Now, you can just manually craft a script in there by copying the
> system-wide one and hacking the pling line, but you shouldn't have to.

Just to mention: the development version of IPython will detect if
there's a virtualenv active when it starts and try to put its
directories on sys.path. It's not flawless - it will always behave as
though the virtualenv was created with --system-site-packages, but
it's convenient for simple cases. Of course, that doesn't interfere if
IPython is installed inside the virtualenv.

Thomas