[SciPy-User] [scipy-central] Site design

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 22:22:30 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Andreas H. <lists at hilboll.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think everyone agrees that the webdesign of scipy-central.org needs some
> major enhancements in order to make the site appealing to users so that
> they want to stay, browse, and use it.
>
> I think it would make sense to make the site visually similar to the main
> SciPy site (new.scipy.org), so that users can already "feel" the
> connection. I'm mainly talking about colors and fonts here.
>
> Also, a logo would be good. For a start, maybe we could use the main SciPy
> logo, but eventually, scipy-central should have its own, similar logo.
>
> Then, a sidebar would be nice. Possible blocks for the sidebar include
> 'links to core and related projects', 'what is SciPy', ... ideas welcome.
>
> If you agree, I could start playing around with the templates/css over the
> next weeks.
>
> Best,
> Andreas.

Here's a logo concept. The concept is a bit literal: SciPy curve, with the
background of a globe and arrows pointing from different locations to a
"central" point.

I posted the code on github, if someone wants to play around with it (it's
not particularly pretty code): https://github.com/tonysyu/SciPy-Central-Logo

Tools used:
    * numpy
    * matplotlib
    * basemap
    * scipy (although this was a bit forced)

-Tony