[SciPy-User] how to use properly the function fmin () to scipy.optimize

Francisco Javier López Salcedo fralosal at ei.upv.es
Tue Mar 13 19:00:50 EDT 2012

Warren thank you very much for your help and your demonstration. This
was only invented problem to learn to use fmin (), but perhaps not the
best problem solving with fmin as you say. I mistakenly thinking about
that the expected minimum value would be zero, but obviously this is
not true because the problem has no a priori minimum, I apologize.

I understand that the problem will not converge naturally never, so if
you do not define convergence by high values ??of xtol and ftol fmin()
threw the warning that I mentioned having to evaluate the function
"minimize" excessive times.

Chiefly my question about the algorithm were two things, that defines
exactly the parameter ftol and xtol?, What is the difference between
them?, If I wanted to stop the algorithm when the minimum is not
differentiated from one iteration to the next in a given amount which
of these two parameters should have occasion to modify its default
value?.

Again thank you very much and sorry.