[SciPy-User] Problems compiling NumPy on linux with a compiled lapack/blas

Russell Warren russ at perspexis.com
Tue Jun 19 23:36:19 EDT 2012

I'm trying to compile numpy from source with both lapack and BLAS compiled
from source as well.  I've got full details below, but my compilation
method is based mostly on guidelines from these links:
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux

I'm trying to compile in a portable way, mostly with the use of -march=i486
-mtune=i686, since I'm trying to make this as a portable extension for a
minimal linux install based on tinycore linux.  I don't expect/think that
this is particularly relevant, but one outcome of it is that I'm doing
everything from source... ie: no debian apt packages or other conveniences
available.  It also means I'm not using ATLAS, since I think it tunes to
the local cpu by definition.

I can compile numpy with no problems at all if I don't set the LAPACK
environment variable, and numpy.test("full") ends up working perfectly fine
with no errors.

However, when I set the LAPACK environment variable to the path of my
generated libflapack.a file, the numpy compilation fails.  It is failing at
a strange location (when gfortran is trying to generate lapack_lite.so) and
in a strange way (it looks like the python header files are missing).

Full details:
gfortran 4.6.1
gcc 4.6.1
os.name: posix
sys.platform: linux2
sys.version: '2.7.3 (default, Jun 19 2012, 16:53:07) \n[GCC 4.6.1]'
numpy.version: 1.6.2
uname -a: Linux edms 3.0.21-tinycore #3021 SMP Sat Feb 18 11:54:11 EET 2012
i686 GNU/Linux
ATLAS version:  NOT USING ATLAS...  is this a problem??

I'm compiling BLAS, LAPACK, and NumPy using this command chain:
http://static.inky.ws/syn/502

And my failed setup.py output log is here:
http://static.inky.ws/text/503

What is happening here?  Do I need to use ATLAS?  Any help on getting numpy
working with lapack is greatly appreciated!