[SciPy-User] mailing list etiquette [Was: Re: nan handling by scipy.optimize]

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Jul 26 13:30:42 EDT 2012

2012/7/26 Skipper Seabold <jsseabold at gmail.com>:
> Are there list etiquette suggestions posted anywhere? Out of office
> replies to mailing lists are one of my pet peeves. I think we all
> receive enough e-mail, wanted and otherwise.

Not sure what good posting etiquette suggestions would do... these
people are using buggy software to send spam. (Accidentally, but
still.) I think pretty much everyone knows that's a bad idea, they're
just oblivious. The traditional vacation program has extensive checks
built in to ensure that oblivious people won't create this kind of
nonsense:
  http://man.cx/vacation%281%29
but sadly this wisdom has been lost.

Honestly the best solution is probably for the list admins to kick
anyone who sends a vacation message off the list. Then their vacation
messages will start bouncing and they can re-subscribe when they get
back.

-n