[SciPy-User] down-sampling an array by averaging - vectorized form?

jkhilmer at chemistry.montana.edu jkhilmer at chemistry.montana.edu
Sat Feb 11 01:08:08 EST 2012

Andrew,

This is a very naive response, since I don't have nearly the
experience as many of the other contributors here.

Since you're working with images, and you might want more complicated
variants of this process in the future, why not convolve your array
and slice the output with a stride/step.  For the sizes you're talking
about, memory shouldn't be a concern.  That should give you a very
flexible procedure that is inherently "vectorized".

Jonathan