[SciPy-User] running script error (eigen symmetric)

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:29:27 EST 2012

Dear Amy,

the scipy you installed via Macports is version 0.11 :

$ port installed py27-scipy
  py27-scipy @0.11.0_0+gcc45 (active)

Indeed for that version of scipy there is no function eigen_symmetric in scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen.arpack, as the ImportError in your script said:

$ python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Oct 22 2012, 20:01:15)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple Clang 4.0 ((tags/Apple/clang-421.0.60))] on darwin
>>> from scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen.arpack import eigen_symmetric
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name eigen_symmetric
>>> from scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen.arpack import eigs
>>> exit()
$

It is possible to install an older version of scipy with Macports, but it looks complicated (I've never done this):
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

Installing scipy 0.9 on a modern Mac outside Macports is also not simple.
You could try a binary or source install from http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/ .

Is updating your script to use eigs instead of eigen_symmetric an option?
Or ask the guy that wrote it do update it for you?

Christoph