[SciPy-User] help speeding up a Runge-Kuta algorithm (cython, f2py, ...)

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 15:35:17 EDT 2012

I am sure properly coded Cython is great, but I really struggled when I
tried to use it. I found that it allows you to write really slow code
without errors or warnings. I found the profiling tools to be only
marginally helpful. So many different ways to do the same thing... which
is the best? All the documentation is nice, but very long and dense.

I am having much more success with f2py (using F90 syntax). Either your
code runs fast, or it simply will not compile (excepting segfault bugs
that can sometimes be difficult to track down). Improved and updated
documentation would be helpful, but otherwise f2py is now what I turn to
when speed is crucial.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Jonathan