[SciPy-User] synchronizing timestamps from different systems; unpaired linear regression

Chris Rodgers xrodgers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:22:16 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM, srean <srean.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> There have many good suggestions, I will add another. One option would
> be to model this via dynamic programming. I think searching for
> "sequence alignment" and "time warping" will give you a lot of helpful
> hits.

That is a great tip, thanks. I knew someone must have worked on this
problem before. I will see how they solved the problem instead of
reinventing the wheel. I see DTW is included in mlpy. Also, estimating
clock skew from autocorrelations sounds like it would definitely work.

Samuel: Actually these are not spikes but behavioral events
(nosepokes, stimulus onsets)

> And this was because a $5000 biomedial TTL generator was not accurate
> enough ... unlike an 10-15 year old 386 computer I found in the trash.

My case is not the same because these clocks were never intended to be
used in this way. But I sympathize with your frustration. One can sell
the exact same piece of equipment for 10x more if it is labeled as
"biomedical". If there is one thing I have learned in my PhD, it is
that you make a lot more money selling research hardware than using
it.

Thanks all!