[SciPy-User] synchronizing timestamps from different systems; unpaired linear regression

Samuel Garcia sgarcia at olfac.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Apr 12 10:14:05 EDT 2012

What algo do you use for the online spike detection (sorting) ?
Do you have a commercial system or a home made system ?

Did you tried some Metroplis Hasting like method :
  * sample a subset of point
  * estimate offset, clockspeed at each step
  * stamp bad point X that have not a pair Y with that estimated offset
and clockspeed
  * sample again only poitn (that are not bad stamp)
  * check is loglike is better or not and reject or accept the new state

Samuel

Le 12/04/2012 07:02, Chris Rodgers a écrit :
> The platform is specialized because the data come from equipment in my
> lab. One system is a 3KHz real-time operating system detecting voltage
> pulses on one input. The other is a data-acquistion card sampling at
> 30KHz and detecting deflections on another input. The temporal
> uncertainty arises not from the raw sampling rates but from the
> uncertainties in the pulse detection algorithms.
>
>> Yes, that's why I was suggesting doing something similar to your
>> current algorithm, but different in ways that might avoid this problem
> I could be wrong but I think your suggestion retains the matching
> problem implicitly, because it uses the closest value in X to the
> transformed point from Y.
>
> I wrote a new objective function that uses the sum of squared error
> between every value in X and every transformed point from Y (but
> thresholds any squared error that is above a certain point). I played
> around with this function, and the one you suggested, and a couple of
> others, using scipy.optimize.brute. It was a fun exercise but the
> energy landscape is pathological. There are local minima for every
> nearby mismatch error, and the minimum corresponding to the true
> solution is extremely narrow and surrounded by peaks. The problem is
> that a good guess for one parameter (dilation say) means that a small
> error in the other parameter (offset) results in a very bad solution.
>
> It still feels like there should be a way to do this from the
> statistics of the input. I tried some crazier things like taking many
> subsamples of X and Y, fitting them, and then looking at the
> distribution of all the discovered fits. But the problem with this is
> that I'm very unlikely to choose useful subsamples, of course. I think
> I'll have to use the brute force approach with very fine sampling, or
> one of the practical hardware solutions suggested previously.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Yes, that's why I was suggesting doing something similar to your
>>> current algorithm, but different in ways that might avoid this problem
>>> :-).

>>> That also has the problem that the objective function is totally flat
>>> whenever the points are all within ERR, so you are guaranteed to get
>>> an offset inaccuracy on the same order of magnitude as ERR. It sounds
>>> like your clocks have a lot of jitter, though, if you can't do better
>>> than 10 ms agreement, so maybe you can't get more accurate than that
>>> anyway.
>>>
>> I'd like to know the platform. The default Window's clock ticks at 15 Hz,
>> IIRC.
>>
>> <snipL
>>
>> Chuck

Samuel Garcia
Lyon Neuroscience
CNRS - UMR5292 -  INSERM U1028 -  Universite Claude Bernard LYON 1
Equipe R et D
50, avenue Tony Garnier
69366 LYON Cedex 07
FRANCE