[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Speeding up scipy.integrate.quad

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Tue Oct 25 10:54:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:48 AM, tomrichardson <
thomas.d.richardson at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm currently trying to implement a Metropolis Hastings algorithm for which
> numerical integration has to be called to obtain the acceptance probability
> of any given trial in the iteration. I'm currently using the
> scipy.integrate.quad function but it's too slow.Only part of the integrand
> has an analytical form - in fact it depends on an interpolation function
> that uses data in two numpy arrays. I've plotted the integrand and it
> diverges near the lower limit of integration, there is a term
>
> 1/(r^2-R^2) where r is the the dummy variable over which I am integrating
> and R is the lower limit of integration [I've already added a small
> increment to R to avoid a zero division error]

The integral of 1/(r^2 - R^2) from r=R to r=a>R is divergent (i.e. the area
under that curve is infinite).  Does some other term in your integrand
cancel the singularity at r=R to give a convergent integral?  If so, can you
rewrite your integrand so that these terms are handled separately (ideally
analytically), and only use quad for the well-behaved part of the integrand?

Warren