[SciPy-User] computing surface gradients using mayavi mlab

Iara Pereira iara.mbp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 09:43:17 EDT 2011

Hi there,

I'm using mlab.mesh to visualize data of a pressue field over a streamlined
body and I would like to compute the pressure gradient on that surface.
I was wondering, since mayavi uses some kind of interpolation method to
represent the field between mesh nods, if it is possible to extract the
derivatives on each cell from the vtk object. Or is there any other
alternative besides triangulating the surface and calculating finite
differences for interpolated points inside the triangle?

Thanks for the help...
Iara