[SciPy-User] [Numpy-discussion] what statistical module to use for python?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:41:57 EST 2011

<forwarding from numpy mailing list>

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Chao YUE <chaoyuejoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

This is more a question for the scipy-user mailing list since that is
for more general question.

I would also like to know since I have a biased or selective view.

> I just want to broadly ask what statistical package are you guys using? I
> mean routine statistical function like linear regression, GLM, ANOVA... etc.
>
> I know there is SciKits packages like statsmodels, but are there more
> general and complete ones?

(Not counting rpy2 since it's not available on Windows anymore.)

I think there are more complete packages on specific topics, but
nothing in python that is complete and general, that's where
statsmodels tries to be.

sklearn is machine learning oriented but covers also a large area of
statistical methods.

Besides scipy.stats, statsmodels and sklearn, I don't know any that
target to be general and not field specific. (scipy and numpy have
also features that make do-it-yourself easy.)

But there are many more field or topic specific packages, ......
(Bayesian, spatial, discrete choice (transport), and then by scientific field.)

http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software   doesn't include a statistics section

An overview or survey of packages and statistical methods (in a very
broad definition) would be useful.

Thanks,

Josef