[SciPy-User] how can I create B-splines of mutidimensional values?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Mon Nov 28 13:42:44 EST 2011

>> You could then, as I mentioned, write a Cython module to erect all the
>> "infrastructure" in parallel to do the interpolation,
>
> (gulp)
>
> I may need another few years until I'm THAT advaced...
> I've just learnt a bit of swig and I'm not really so keen on learning yet
> another interface generator

Haha... cython is actually less scary than all that. It's more a python-like language that can be "compiled" to C, and which transparently interfaces with normal python code. After adding a few type annotations, it's really easy to write loops that operate on numpy arrays at C-ish speed.

>> or perhaps you could even figure out how to vectorize it in pure numpy.
>> (Perhaps that's not hard to do...)
>
> My suspicion.
>
>> If you do either, definitely drop a line to the list because I'm sure
>> folks might be interested in the code.
>
> sure will. It should make a difference to all applications along these lines - I
> mean, how do they go on about RGB images? do each channel separately? Someone
> must have thought of exploiting the obvious redundancies.

Probably, but they might not have been writing in Python! After all, 3x slower doesn't change the big-O complexity, and for most tasks that's often going to be fine. I mean, everything equal it's always better to have faster, more general tools, but there's an API complexity cost, and someone needs to write the code, etc. etc. etc...

Zach