[SciPy-User] Completing source install of numpy/scipy

Glen Shennan glen.shennan at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:23:24 EDT 2011

Hi,

This question may be slightly outside the scope of the list but I have been
unable to find a solution myself and no forums have provided answers.

I'm trying to install the standard python/numpy/scipy/matplotlib
combination.  I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and am using python 2.7 obtained from
the repos.  I have numpy and scipy (and BLAS/ATLAS/LAPACK) compiled from
source and installed in $HOME/local/[lib|include|bin]/

I now want to install matplotlib.  I'm happy to do this from the repos, I
only want the number-crunching parts from source for speed.  However
matplotlib depends on the packages python-numpy, libblas3gf and liblapack,
so whenever I try to install python-matplotlib these packages are installed
as well.  I've tried "aptitude hold ..." and locking the version in synaptic
but for reasons that are beyond me the packages continue to be installed no
matter what I do.

I realise I could just install matplotlib too but I run more than a couple
of other programs that have the same dependencies so I need a general
solution.

How might I go about convincing Linux that the packages are installed?  I
assume someone else around here has come up against the same problem.  Can
anyone offer suggestions?

Cheers,

Glen Shennan