[SciPy-User] Normalizing a sparse matrix

coolhead.pranay at gmail.com coolhead.pranay at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 03:06:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have a sparse matrix with nearly (300*10000) entries constructed out of
14000*14000 matrix...In each iteration after performing some operations on
the sparse matrix(like multiply and dot) I have to divide each row of the
corresponding dense matrix with the sum of its elements...

Since sparse matrix format doesn't allow all the required matrix
operation(divide) I tried to convert it to a dense format and then divide by
the sum. But this raises MemoryError exception because 14000*14000 matrix
doesn't fit memory..

Can someone tell me how to normalize a sparse matrix ?