[SciPy-User] Fitting procedure to take advantage of cluster

Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia ciampagg at usi.ch
Thu Jun 30 03:38:47 EDT 2011

Il 30. 06. 11 00:46, Jose Gomez-Dans ha scritto:

> We looked at Gaussian Proces emulators too, as Giovanni suggested (see
> the papers by O'Hagan too). However, the problem is that our model
> typically has several outputs (think of it as correlated time series,
> for example, a time series of the outflow of rivers in a basin). This
> isn't easy to do with GPs. However, if your model provides a scalar,
> then they can be very efficient and are easy to implement.

Hi Jose,
You might want to have a look at the paper by Dancik et al.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2789658/) where they use
dimensionality reduction (e.g. PCA) in order to use GP with a model
whose output is a time series. In my case I had to fit a model whose
output was a whole population, i.e. a distributional output, so in the
end I used an auxiliary model (in particular a mixture of gaussians) to
fit the output of my simulations, and then GPs to learn the mapping
between the parameters of my model and the sufficient statistic of the
mixture of gaussians. At that point you can define an error function and
solve a minimization problem to get the parameter estimates. A bit
complicated but it works.

Cheers,

--
Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia

Ph.D. Candidate
Faculty of Informatics
University of Lugano
Web: http://www.inf.usi.ch/phd/ciampaglia/

Bertastraße 36 ∙ 8003 Zürich ∙ Switzerland