[SciPy-User] Enthought Python Distribution questions

Jonathan Rocher jrocher at enthought.com
Thu Aug 18 10:45:14 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

Correct, this isn't the appropriate mailing list. To request information
about EPD, you should contact info at enthought.com or
epd-support at enthought.com once you are a subsciber.

For your information,

1. EPD install its own python executable and libraries and doesn't interfere
with any existing installed instances of python. The PATH environment
variable allows you to select which one will be launched.

2. EPD comes with a large number of code samples/examples for most of the
packages included, in particular the Enthought Tool Suite. The documentation
is not included though, to save download time. It also comes with a DocLinks
folder with links to each package home page for you to download the
appropriate material.

Best regards,
Jonathan Rocher

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A couple of questions about EPD, if this is the wrong list, please point
> me at the right one:
>
> - How can I install EPD in such a way that it leaves my system python
> completely alone? I installed it on my Mac and suddenly I have Python
> 2.7 with all the libraries everywhere, which isn't what I want :-S
> I'm now too petrified to try and install EPD on any of my Debian, Red
> Hat or Ubuntu servers in case the same thing is done there, which would
> have much more catastrophic consequences.
>
> I'm looking for something akin to 'make altinstall' for CPython, I'd
> love to be able to get a python-epd-x.y.z in the same way that gives me
> just a pythonx.y.
>
> - Once I have EPD installed, where can I find all the documentation for
> the included packages? I spend a lot of time working on trains and
> planes, and having the docs available offline would be extremely useful :-)
>
> cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Simplistix - Content Management, Batch Processing & Python Consulting
>             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.