[SciPy-User] Having scipy.ndimage, etc. methods return ndarray subclass instances?

Keith Hughitt keith.hughitt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:58:51 EDT 2011

Hello,

I'm currently working on creating a subclass of numpy.ndarray, and would
like to ensure that other methods that work with ndarrays (e.g.
scipy.ndimage.* <http://www.scipy.org/SciPyPackages/Ndimage>) return an
instance of the subclass instead of an ndarray.

After reading a discussion on the topic<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6190859/some-numpy-functions-return-ndarray-instead-of-my-subclass>on StackOverflow, I looked into adding/modifying __array_finalize__
and __array_wrap__<http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.classes.html>.
Neither of these appear to be called when I call a scipy.ndimage method such
as median_filter<http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.ndimage.filters.median_filter.html>
.

Is there a way I can extend my subclass so that I can ensure that a new
subclass instance or view is returned instead of an ndarray?

Thanks,
Keith