[SciPy-User] deconvolution of 1-D signals

Anne Archibald aarchiba at physics.mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 1 01:20:16 EDT 2011

I realize this discussion has gone rather far afield from efficient 1D
deconvolution, but we do a funny thing in radio interferometry, and
I'm curious whether this is normal for other kinds of deconvolution as
well.

In radio interferometry we obtain our images convolved with the
so-called "dirty beam", a convolution kernel that has a nice narrow
peak but usually a chaos of monstrous sidelobes often only marginally
smaller than the main lobe. We use a different regularization
condition to do our deconvolution: we treat the underlying image as a
modest collection of point sources. (One can see why this appeals to
astronomers.) Through an iterative process (the "CLEAN" algorithm and
its many descendants) we obtain an estimate of this underlying image.
But we very rarely actually work with this image directly. We normally
convolve it with a sort of idealized version of our kernel without all
the sidelobes. This then gives an image one might have obtained from a
normal telescope the size of the interferometer array. (Apart from all
the CLEAN artifacts.)

What I'm wondering is, is this final step of convolving with an
idealized version of the kernel standard practice elsewhere?

>From one point of view it could just be parochiality, astronomers
being so accustomed to smudgy images that we have to convert anything
else to this format. But I think that at the least it softens the
effect of the rather strict regularization assumption behind CLEAN -
which amounts to "no extended sources". It probably makes us less
sensitive to shortcuts in CLEAN implementations. I think, though, that
this trick may be useful for many applications of deconvolution.
Rather than try to translate the image from the observed kernel to
some ideal Dirac-delta kernel, this tries to convert it from the
observed kernel to a similar but simpler kernel; one would expect the
impact of a deconvolution artifact to be related to the magnitude of
the difference between kernels.

In terms of 1D Fourier deconvolution, this is saying, after
deconvolution, that we don't really need all those high frequencies
amplified so much anyway, and smoothing them back down with a nice
clean easy-to-understand kernel. In these terms, in fact, it makes
perfect sense to use a wider kernel than necessary for this smoothing
if one is interested in larger-scale features.

Anne