[SciPy-User] [msvc] scipy/numpy build with visual studio and intel fortran compiler

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Fri Apr 29 03:35:40 EDT 2011

On 4/28/2011 11:49 PM, Eloi Gaudry wrote:
> On 04/29/2011 01:37 AM, Christoph Gohlke wrote:
>>
>> On 4/28/2011 2:26 PM, Eloi Gaudry wrote:
>>> well, i somehow messed up with my setup. using the enclosed patches, i
>>> can build numpy and scipy using msvc8/9 and intel visual fortran
>>> compiler 11.1 (you need to apply the patches and use the matching
>>> build_*msvc.x*.bat file).
>>> 'hope this would help people that need to stick to visual studio
>>> compilers...
>> I have no such problems building numpy 1.5.1 and scipy 0.9 from the
>> official source releases using Visual Studio 2008 (msvc9) and Intel
>> ifort/MKL 11.1. No need to patch sources.
> christoph,
> you're right, those patches are useless (except the one targeting at
> scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/SuperLU/SRC/lsame.c) : those are obsolete
> modifications used for building scipy with a bad fcompiler setup, i
> shouldn't have sent those.

lsame.c should not used on Windows when building with ifort/MKL:

<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/setup.py#L24>

Probably the FPATH environment variable is not set in your case. Instead
of manually setting the Intel compiler variables, better call the
provided batch files, e.g.:

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Compiler\11.1\070\bin\iclvars.bat"
ia32 vs2008
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Compiler\11.1\070\bin\ifortvars.bat"
ia32 vs2008

Christoph