[SciPy-User] stats repeated measures ANOVA

Peter Tittmann ptittmann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 01:31:18 EDT 2011

Thanks for your reply Josef, sorry for the obscurity, I've third to clarify
below....
On Apr 11, 2011 8:44 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Peter <ptittmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I would like to determine the effect of  two independent variables (tree
> > size class, and canopy percent cover) which are factor vectors
> > (non-continuous) on the variance between two methods of measuring tree
> > height.
> >
> > I believe this is referred to as two-way repeated measures ANOVA.
>
> As far as I understand ANOVA only tests for differences in means, or
> mean effects, not differences in variances, equality of variances is
> usually a standard assumption for ANOVA.
There's a tutorial on doing it in R here
http://www.r-bloggers.com/r-tutorial-series-two-way-repeated-measures-anova/
but it has a lot of array operations involved which I would preferr to do in
python.

> But it's not clear to me what you want to test or estimate, with size,
> cover and method you have actually 3 factors.
> Are the two measuring methods for height used for every tree?
> Do you want the effect of size and cover on the measurement variance
> for each method separately?
> ....?
One method for measurement is field based and the other uses aerial data.
The objective is to determine if the two factors (canopy density and tree
diameter class) explain variance between of the measurement methods (ie
accuracy of the aerial method)