[SciPy-User] Working with sparse matrices

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Mon Apr 4 22:41:17 EDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 11:38 AM, coolhead.pranay at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working with huge sparse matrices(20K * 20K) using the scipy.sparse
> package. In each iteration of the algorithm I need to compute matrix
> product of this matrix with itself, store the result in the same matrix
> and then raise the value of each non zero entry in the matrix by a
> constant number.

Why do you need to do this ? Depending on the sparse structure of you
matrix, raising it as some integer power will very quickly fill it to
near-full matrix.

Generally, if you need to multiply sparse matrices between them, it
should raise a warning and make you wonder whether you can avoid it.

cheers,

David