[SciPy-User] weighted griddata

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Sep 17 15:09:43 EDT 2010

Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:00:35 -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
[clip]
> does that mean the ones with weight 0 you want to ignore, and ones with
> weight 1 you want to fit exactly? i.e. you know which ones are more
> robust/accurate?
>
> If so then it doesn't sound to me like any of the smoothing routines
> being talked about are going to do the right thing, at least not out of
> the box -- I think they all assume that all points are equally valid,
> and weight according to how far away points are, or, more generally, how
> well they fit a smooth function.

The spline routines in Scipy have weight parameters, which should do
exactly that out of the box.

Rbf/inverse distance/Kriging type methods can use weights, but Scipy
doesn't contain out-of-the-box solutions.

For the triangulation-based methods in griddata(), support for weighed
smoothing can in principle be added.

--
Pauli Virtanen