[SciPy-User] scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen error code?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:55:42 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm using scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen to compute the lowest magnitude
eigenvalue of a matrix, and I noticed that sometimes the code would
return 0+0j where I really didn't expect it. Turns out that tweaking
the number of iterations results in some more meaningful value here,
suggesting that the underlying Arnoldi (ARPACK?) iteration failed with
the maxiter value previously given. As far as I can see, there's no
way to tell that the iteration actually failed.

Is that correct?

Cheers,
Nico