[SciPy-User] ide for numpy?

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 21:29:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My research uses numpy, scipy, and pyublas for interface to c++ code.  Now
> the research phase is ending, and a real project is beginning.  That means
> delivering code to other engineers (in other groups).
>
> Convincing them to accept code in this form is going to be an uphill battle.
> I'm sure they'd accept matlab code, only because many (recent) engineers
> have some familiarity with it.  I do all my development with emacs, but
> that's not to everyone's liking.  I think an attraction of matlab is a
> decent development environment, things like: click on the name of a vector
> in a gui to plot it.
>
> Is there anything I should look at that might offer an IDE for numpy?

Still IPython and for the curious and for visual debuggers Eclipse +
PyDev as suggested before. IPython is a great environment to
experiment with the code and demonstrate others (as demonstrated in
many SciPy conferences). Eclipse is a great platform if you are
managing big projects and PyDev brings many useful additions on top of
that. (Two examples: you can Ctrl-click a variable/function and jump
to the definition of that variable/function, from Outline window you
can easily jump to your function/class definition (possible in VIM
through extensions) --more greatness are at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/54886/hidden-features-of-eclipse)

--
Gökhan