[SciPy-User] Accurate Frequency Measurement

Seth Nickell snickell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:19:14 EST 2010

I'm trying to measure the frequency of several sin 'tones' in a signal
to within a hundredth of a Hz. I've made a 200s recording of the
signal (44100 Hz wav file), but find that I cannot reasonably take an
fft of the entire signal (takes 'forever'). The size of fft that seems
to not take forever only gives me a resolution of a tenth of a Hz. The
sin tones have the highest amplitudes by a long shot (i.e. the signal
isn't very noisy). I've considered using a sin tone generator and
using my ears+destructive interference to find the tones, but I'd like
to be able to re-run this procedure on hundreds of signals, and I
wouldn't be confident in the precision I could achieve.

Can anyone suggest a straightforward technique in scipy to measure
these frequencies more accurately?

Thanks,

-Seth