[SciPy-User] SciPy pip and PyPi

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 08:15:47 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Francesc Alted <faltet at pytables.org> wrote:
> A Friday 12 November 2010 23:38:21 David Cournapeau escrigué:
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Martin Galpin <galpin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> > I am attempting to install SciPy using pip and pypi into a
>> > virtualenv. However, because the SciPy egg does not list NumPy as
>> > as a dependency, the process cannot be automated using a pip
>> > requirements file (the install fails because there is no guarantee
>> > of the order pip installs packages and when installing SciPy,
>> > NumPy might not be installed).
>> > I have verified this is the case on both OS X and Ubuntu 10.10.
>> > Can anybody suggest an alternative?
>>
>> That's not possible I am afraid. Those tools are pretty limited, and
>> cannot express complex dependencies: numpy is a *build* dependency of
>> scipy, and scipy setup.py needs numpy to run at all. Neither
>> setuptools nor pip support this concept,
>
> Hmm, I think this is actually supported by setuptools.  I'm attaching
> some excerpts of the setup.py in PyTables for dealing with dependencies
> that you may want to use as an example:

But this works because you don't need numpy.distutils in your setup.py
(you don't call from numpy.distutils import foo). Since the only way
setuptools can know the setup_requires is to actually run it, you have
an obvious issue here.

I am sure it could be made to work if someones was really motivated,

cheers,

David