[SciPy-User] No Wilcoxon test in scipy ?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 07:16:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Axel Kowald <axel.kowald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm using scipy 0.7.1 and try to find the Wilcoxon test, i.e. a
> non-parametric test for paired observations.
> Am I right, that there is no Wilcoxon test in SciPy ?!
> In the function summary of
> http://www.scipy.org/doc/api_docs/SciPy.stats.stats.html I could not
> find anything with Wilcoxon.
>
> I'm only a bit confused, because at the beginning of this website the
> Wilcoxon test is listet:
>
> INFERENTIAL STATS:  ttest_1samp
>                    ttest_ind
>                    ttest_rel
>                    chisquare
>                    ks_2samp
>                    mannwhitneyu
>                    ranksums
>                    wilcoxon   <===============
>                    kruskal
>                    friedmanchisquare
>

> So, is the Wilcoxon test implemented in SciPy or not ?
>
> Many thanks,
>
>  Axel

the new documentation is here:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.wilcoxon.html?highlight=wilcoxon#scipy.stats.wilcoxon

the api_docs are outdated

>>> help(scipy.stats.wilcoxon)
Help on function wilcoxon in module scipy.stats.morestats:

wilcoxon(x, y=None)
    Calculate the Wilcoxon signed-rank test

    The Wilcoxon signed-rank test tests the null hypothesis that two
    related samples come from the same distribution. It is a a
    non-parametric version of the paired T-test.

a good comparison of the non-parametric tests is in this ticket
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/901

Josef