[SciPy-User] < transferred from Scipy-Dev> Re: Seeking help/ advice for applying functions

eat e.antero.tammi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 18:06:57 EST 2010

Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This kind of optimization is extremely difficult; it involves, for
> example, inferring that a particular variable will always point to an
> integer value, so that the type information attached to the integer
> can be discarded. There are languages/programming environments that
> are capable of this, but it is a difficult and expensive operation.
> It's also unlikely to be productive for python, which is very dynamic,
> as languages go: the value "None" is often used to signify "no answer
> yet" in variables that would otherwise point to only one type of
> value, and it's perfectly acceptable to change what function
> "mymodule.myfunction" points to at any point.

OK. I kind of understand, but wouldn't it possible to somehow sidetrack this
whole dynamic nature of python (when really needed)? Perhaps giving some kind
of exclusive gateway to the underlying libraries. Yes, I'm considering here
only the mature libraries, where no API changes are expected.

Anyway this is out of my competence, but I'll be back at the other thread ;-)

> Anne

Regards,
eat