[SciPy-User] Compiling scipy.sparse.sparsetools extension throws g++ internal error

Diederik van Liere dvanliere at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 22:29:42 EST 2010

> Diederik van Liere wrote:

>>* error: Command "g++ -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3*>>* -Wall -fPIC -I/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include*>>* -I/usr/local/include/python2.6 -c scipy/sparse/sparsetools/csr_wrap.cxx -o*>>* build/temp.linux-i686-2.6/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/csr_wrap.o" failed with*>>* exit status 1*
> What's the version of g++ ?
I am using GCC 4.1.2 (32bit)

>>* and I really don't know how to fix this. I have tried both Numpy 1.3.0 and*>>* the latest Numpy SVN version but to no avail. I hope someone can point me in*>>* the right direction.*
> Changing numpy version is unlikely to fix anything here, as the error is
> a crash from the C++ compiler.
Okay, good to know.

> One solution would be to update gcc (by compiling your own version), or
> more simply, if you don't need scipy.sparse to disable it in
> scipy/setup.py by commenting the sparse line.
I don't think I will need this, this is for sparse matrix manipulation, right?

I need scipy.linalg although I prefer a complete working version of
Scipy because it might the case the sparse module is required by one
of other libraries I am suing.

But thanks David for giving me some workarounds.