[SciPy-User] scikits.audiolab NameError

Agile Aspect agile.aspect at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:13:49 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Nils Wagner
<nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:01:22 -0800
>  Agile Aspect <agile.aspect at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Nils Wagner
>> <nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I installed audiolab via
>>>
>>> git clone git://github.com/cournape/audiolab.git
>>> python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/local
>>>
>>> How can I fix the backend problem wrt. alsa ?
>>>

>>> python -i test_sndfile.py
>>> /data/home/nwagner/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scikits.audiolab-0.11.0.dev-py2.5-linux-x86_64.egg/scikits/audiolab/soundio/play.py:48:
>>> UserWarning: Could not import alsa backend; most
>>>probably,
>>> you did not have alsa headers when building audiolab
>>>   warnings.warn("Could not import alsa backend; most
>>> probably, "
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "test_sndfile.py", line 332, in <module>
>>>     NumpyTest().run()
>>> NameError: name 'NumpyTest' is not defined
>>>

>>> AFAIK, NumpyTest is obsolete. Am I missing something ?
>>>
>>> Nils
>>>

>> On CentOS/Fedora
>>
>>       yum install alsa\*
>>

> alsa is already installed...
>
> header file are available in /usr/include/alsa
> the library libasound.a is in /usr/lib64
>
> I haven't a clue what is going on here.

If this is a runtime error then the ALSA backend was never built.

Despite the fact that no sound system was found during the build, it
still installs the files and creates the impression everything is
honky dory.

Rebuild it and direct the output to a file - the output will probably
indicate the ALSA backend was never found.

--
      Enjoy global warming while it lasts.