[SciPy-User] mary, a masked array

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 20:30:04 EDT 2010

An outer join of two data objects (labeled arrays, larrys, in my case)
can introduce missing values when one data object contains labels that
are not in the other data object. For float data I fill the missing
values with NaN. But I couldn't come up with a good fill value for int
or bool data. Coverting int and bool to float is one way to go, but
not ideal. The obvious solution is to use np.ma to mask the missing
values. But my masking needs are modest so I coded up a quick proof of
concept for a stripped down masked array class that is tailored to my
needs. Here's what I came up with: http://github.com/kwgoodman/mary

Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I'm not familiar with np.ma so
I imagine there are many issues I haven't thought through.