[SciPy-User] Matlab trademark - was: Re: SciPy-User Digest, Vol 82, Issue 49

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Jun 19 15:12:14 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I guess that you mean that putting (R) next to MATLAB in every use
>> will make the Mathworks feel better and therefore less likely to sue,
>> but it seems vanishingly unlikely
>
> I think you mean vanishingly likely (vanishingly unlikely would mean
> approaching certainty).

"Vanishingly unlikely" is a conventional expression (you can google it
to see lots of uses), and it means "so unlikely that the possibility
of it happening vanishes"; pretty standard in my dialect. OTOH, I
wouldn't understand "vanishingly likely" if I heard it.

(Linguists use SciPy too ;-))

-- Nathaniel