[SciPy-User] spelling numpy and scipy

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 23:13:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:21, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > This is probably fodder for the FAQ (though I couldn't find an answer
> > > searching) and possibly rather trivial, but how does one spell numpy
> and
> > > scipy?  Is it definitely NumPy and SciPy or is it numpy and scipy while
> > > SciPy refers to the larger Scientific Python community?
> >
> > NumPy and SciPy to refer to the projects. numpy and scipy to refer to
> > the packages, specifically. When in doubt, use the former.

That's what I've been trying to do in the docs...FWIW.

DG

PS: Re: MATLAB, Joe checked w/ his University's lawyers and IIRC they said
(TM) everywhere is overkill (that amounts to defending their trademark,
which we're under no legal obligation to do), but we should (to be
considerate and "safe") use their capitalization which, glancing over at my
guidebooks to confirm, is MATLAB (all caps).  So, there it is.

> Thanks.  Hope no one minds I added this to the FAQ.
>
> > > Skipper
> > >
> > > PS.  Is it safe to remove the bit about the sandbox in the FAQ?
> > >
> > > http://www.scipy.org/FAQ#head-690f5c7fb8d9a6998229bb2b271a198e078a7975
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> Done.
>
> Skipper