[SciPy-User] memory errors when using savemat

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Jul 25 12:49:10 EDT 2010

Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:37:33 -0700, Tyrel Newton wrote:
> I'm trying to use scipy.io.savemat to export a very large set of data to
> a .mat file. The dataset contains around 20 million floats. When I try
> to export this to a .mat file, I get a MemoryError. The specific
> MemoryError is:
>
> File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\matlab\miobase.py", line
> 557 in write_bytes
> 	self.file_stream.write(arr.tostring(order='F'))

What is the complete error message? -- It typically indicates the
specific part in C code the error originates from. (The full traceback,
thanks!)

On the other hand, along that code path it seems the only source of a
MemoryError can really be a failure to allocate memory for the tostring.
Your data apparently needs 160 MB free for this to succeed -- which is
not so much. So the question comes to what is the memory usage of the
code when saving, compared to the available free memory?

--
Pauli Virtanen