[SciPy-User] curve_fit missing from scipy.optimize

Benedikt Riedel briedel at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 19 00:30:53 EDT 2010

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. I was out for a couple days.

I was trying to create the install.pth file and noticed that there is no
~/.local/lib/ directory. This might the problem here, but i am not sure.

Cheers,

Ben

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:02, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Benedikt Riedel <briedel at wisc.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 01:10, Charles R Harris <
>> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Same here except AMD Phenom.

>>> Special SSE2 packages are a 32 bit thing, are you running the 32 bit
>>> version of Ubuntu?
>>>

>> Running a 64-bit version
>>
>>>  python-all-dev ipython

>>> Usually I apt-get numpy and scipy for the dependencies, then install from
>>> svn. If you do install from source in addition to the ubuntu packages you
>>> might want to modify the path so the proper package is used. I use
>>>
>>> $charris at ubuntu ~$ cat ~/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/install.pth
>>> /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
>>>
>>> Although I suspect /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages would work as
>>> well.
>>>

>> I tried the apt-get path but it tells me that numpy and scipy is installed
>> therefore I cant reinstall it.
>>
>> I dont seem to have /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages but instead
>> only have a /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages.
>>
>> I checked out the minpack.py in the dist-packages folder
>> (/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages) and found that it did have a
>> reference to curve_fit, but when I checked /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
>> and the minpack.py did not have a reference to curve_fit.
>>

> So are things working for you now? You need to make
> ~/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/install.pth yourself as it isn't there
> out of the box.
>
> <snip>
>
> Chuck

Benedikt Riedel
Graduate Student University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Physics
Office: 2304 Chamberlin Hall
Lab: 6247 Chamberlin Hall
Tel:  (608) 301-5736