[SciPy-User] curve_fit missing from scipy.optimize

Benedikt Riedel briedel at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 16 01:52:03 EDT 2010

Hey,

It is Ubuntu 10.04 on an AMD-64 from the alternative install CD. I first
installed

build-essential gfortran libatlas-sse2-dev
python-all-dev ipython
subversion

via apt-get. Then I installed nose, numpy and finally scipy using the
package from the website

http://python-nose.googlecode.com/files
http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/numpy
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/scipy/

 When I first installed it. Nose and numpy went through fine, but scipy
installation had some g++ problems, so I had to install a new g++. I tried
it out and optimize was screwed.

When that did not work, I installed 0.7.0 via the Ubuntu software center.
After that optimize worked, but curve_fit was gone. So back to 0.7.2 I went
to and optimize now worked, but curve_fit still did not.

Cheers,

Ben

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 00:23, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Benedikt Riedel <briedel at wisc.edu>wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was setting up my new server at the moment and wanted to install scipy
>> on it. I got it all setup thanks to a couple online tutorials. When I tried
>> to run one of my scripts, I got a segmentation fault when it came to
>> importing scipy.optimize. I then used the software manager to install
>> another version of scipy (0.7.0-2 instead of 0.7.2). I then could at least
>> import scipy.optimize, but scipy.optimize.curve_fit could not be found. So I
>> installed 0.7.2 again and now scipy.optimize could be found, but curve_fit
>> was still missing. I looked on google and could only find one solution by
>> replacing the minpack.py file. I tried that and does not seem to work
>> either. Any other ideas or hints?
>>

> What operating system/distribution is this on? What software manager? This
> definitely looks like an installation problem.
>
> Chuck

Benedikt Riedel
Graduate Student University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Physics
Office: 2304 Chamberlin Hall
Lab: 6247 Chamberlin Hall
Tel:  (608) 301-5736