[SciPy-User] raising a matrix to float power

Alexey Brazhe brazhe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 03:24:22 EDT 2010

Did I get it right that W(W^TW)^(-1/2)
reduces to UV, where U,V come from svd of W?

As for the application: I'm trying to translate a piece of Matlab code to
numpy+scipy+matplotlib that does simple independent component analysis
on stacks of images. The code:
http://www.mathworks.nl/matlabcentral/fx_files/25405/2/content/CellSort%201.1/doc/CellsortICA.htmland
the line
with ^(1/2) is number 137.