[SciPy-User] scipy.optimize.leastsq question

Joshua Holbrook josh.holbrook at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 14:19:38 EDT 2010

m. said:
> Uh, I am real newbie in this field, but I expected that the Jacobian was
> needed if there was an analytical expression for the derivatives; I
> thought the leastsq routine calculated the finite difference
> approximation by itself otherwise. So I never bothered providing an
> "approximate" Jacobian. Or maybe I do not get what do you mean by finite
> difference.
>
> Could someone provide some insight on this?
>
> thanks!
> m.

I say this not as someone intimately familiar with scipy.optimize, but as
someone who has implemented a least squares-ish algorithm himself.

You are almost certainly correct in that leastsq calculates an approximate
Jacobian using a finite difference method on its own. However, if you can
symbolically differentiate your promblem without too much heartache, then
supplying an exact Jacobian is probably preferrable due to higher precision
and less function evaluation (f(x) and f(x+h), differenced and normalized,
vs. simply f'(x)).

On the other hand: When I implemented my algorithm (nearly two years ago),
my equations were pretty nasty. My derivatives just happened to be much much
worse (as can be seen at
http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~jesusabdullah/gradients.html, at least for a
little while), and at the time sympy honestly wasn't production-ready. So, I
ended up using a finite difference method to calculate them (I believe I
used scipy's derivative function), with which I did have to tweak step
sizes.