[SciPy-User] solvers for discrete problems

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 16:28:40 EDT 2010

On 07/01/2010 03:20 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:53:01 -0600, Vincent Davis wrote:
> [clip: dynamic programming, discrete problems]
>
>> Is there a place in scipy for a set of solvers for discrete solvers like
>> this? Would others find them useful? Maybe there is another python
>> package that has many of these, i don't know.
>>
> scipy.optimize would probably be the best place for them, I believe. If
> you want to work on this, great!

There are many examples of Python code for the knapsack problem.
For example, Stephen Marsland uses numpy in his book "Machine Learning:
An Algorithmic Perspective"
http://www-ist.massey.ac.nz/smarsland/MLbook.html (chapter 12)

However, the code is non-commercial licensed.

Also I do not know how general the code is.

Bruce