[SciPy-User] Gamma distribution in scipy.stats

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:36:14 EST 2010

Hello,

Could someone explain to me why doesn't scipy explicitly use the location
and scaling parameters representing its PDF?

From
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.gamma.html#scipy.stats.gamma
gamma.pdf(x,a) = x**(a-1)*exp(-x)/gamma(a) for x >= 0, a > 0.

Gamma is represented with two or three parameters; as the function prototype
shows correctly.

Also both GSL and R is fine representing the Gamma PDF with two parameters:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/The-Gamma-Distribution.html
http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/stats/html/GammaDist.html

Should these instances need to be updated?

PS: I am wrapping the distribution definitions given in the GSL library for
SAGE. While doing this I want to make sure my understanding and use of the
terms and concepts are correct.

Thanks.

--
Gökhan