[SciPy-User] [ANN] scikit.statsmodels 0.2.0 release

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:28:24 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 17:23,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> hit the wrong button
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> They are still new, so some problems might still be lurking around.

>> L2 Tychonov style penalization is planned for specific models, eg.
>> generalized/Bayesian Ridge Regression, Vector Autoregressive
>> Regression with dummy variable priors and other shrinkage estimators
>> when there are too many parameters to estimate.
>>
>> There are no plans for Lasso, although I would like LARS as a
>> complement to Principal Component Regression, but it's not high on the
>> priority list.

Funny this should come up.  I wasn't even really aware of this
implementation- and application-wise until I saw the paper Robert
mentions below on Andy Gelman's blog and started reading up.  I was
just reading this afternoon about method of regularization as part of
the generalized entropy framework, which is somewhat supported by the
scipy.maxentropy module right now (for smoothing with a Gaussian
prior).  For my end, I will be more likely to have examples of
discrete choice models (a general class of the logit at least) with
regularization in the maxent framework before anything else given my
work this semester.

As always code donations to statsmodels are welcomed and encouraged...

Skipper