[SciPy-User] scipy.sparse.linalg.bicg for Non Symmetric Matrix.

Raul Acuña raultron at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 21:40:31 EST 2010

Hi Dominique,

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful. I definitely have an
over-determined system, I need to find the solution in the least amount of
time possible, i've used the SVD method and now I'm experimenting with the
iterative methods, someone told me that they are faster.

I used the Conjugate Gradient function from SciPy using a trick to convert
the original system: Ax = b    to a system with a square matrix:
 dot(A.T,A)x = dot(A.T,b). It is working and it finds a good solution faster
than the SVD method. However I dont know if this is the ideal method.

Now, looking at your reply, and to your advice of using MINRES. I read that
this method guaranteed convergence, but in terms of speed is MINRES a better
method?. Also, sorry about my ignorance but i didnt understand this:

[  I   A ] [ r ] = [ b ]
[ A.T  0 ] [ x ]   [ 0 ]

What is " r " in that system?. I want to try this method with my system
using the function from scipy and also try the one in PyKrylov.

Thanks again,

best regards,

Raúl

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Dominique Orban
<dominique.orban at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

Ing. Raúl Acuña

Profesor @Universidad Simón Bolívar
Grupo de Mecatrónica
Departamento de Electrónica y Circuitos
Tel. +58-212-4121983 / Cel +58-412-5840317